The Time I Wore Flip Flops to Easter Sunrise Service
"Happy Easter!" my neighbor said, with a smile.
"Happy Easter!" we replied. The church was our community pool deck. The congregation consisted of our friends and neighbors. Our Easter finery was "come as you are." The sun rose over our homes' rooftops, while Blossom, the neighborhood cat, stretched out under a picnic table bench serving as a pew.
My neighborhood Bible study organized a sunrise Easter gathering last year. Our leaders kept it very simple, asking ladies in the Bible study for help. The result was an informal, joyful way to start a day of celebration of the risen Christ.
If you want to try organizing an event like this in your neighborhood, think about these simple steps.
1. Establish a time and place: We chose sunrise at our pool deck, which allowed people who attend a more formal service at church on Easter morning to still take part.
2. Ask people for help providing things like:
- Music or song sheets. We are fortunate to have a talented piano teacher and some great singers in our neighborhood!
- Refreshments, like donuts and coffee. Keep it simple and sugary!
- A children's message or object lesson.
- Scripture reading of the Easter story.
- A short Easter message.
- The offering of opening and closing prayers.
3. Send out invitations.
4. Enjoy a sweet celebration on Easter morning!
Happy Easter from NBS2Go!
If you've ever planned an Easter-themed event in your neighborhood, share a helpful tip in the comments!
Find more Fresh Stories here!
We invited several families in our neighborhood over for Easter Breakfast at 9am. My husband and son went to church early and saved 30 seats, so we could all sit together during the 11am service.
Believe it or not, within a couple of months, 3 of the families began attending regularly. Our goal was not "church membership" - just a family type gathering ligting up our risen Savior.
Christmas and Easter….I've found my neighbors open to spiritual things.